- Top Hat is now available in K-State Online. Top Hat is a classroom engagement system that has been integrated with K-State Online’s Canvas. Representatives from Top Hat will conduct training sessions Jan. 9-10.
- A new feature request has been suggested to add a tool to check accessibility at the course level in Canvas. Voting is open now, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9958-tool-to-check-accessibility-at-the-course-level so please follow this link and Vote up this feature.
K-State Online Updates
Updates to Canvas were released on January6. Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle, with features added or updated every three weeks. To see all the new features and fixed bugs, view the complete January Release Notes. In addition to the Canvas release, Information Technology Services releases updates to services and integrations with K-State Online through the month as necessary.
- Accessibility Checker Content Contrast Rule — The Accessibility Checker verifies content color contrast without having to enable High Contrast Styles. Both linked and non-linked content validate with a contrast of higher than 4.5:1. The High Contrast Styles must still be enabled for verification if a user overrides a link color in the Rich Content Editor.
- Accessibility Checker Design Adjustments — The Accessibility Checker sidebar includes minor design adjustments, which are already available in the production environment. These adjustments include placement of the Next and Previous issue buttons and the Help icon that provides clarification about each issue.
- Image Alt Text Field — In the Content Selector, when a user opens the Images tab and selects an image to upload, the sidebar displays a text field to add alternative text for the image. The image can also be specified as a decorative image, which does not require alternative text. If the Decorative Image checkbox is selected, the alternative text field is grayed out.
- Excess Rubric Criterion Points — When an instructor grades a submission in SpeedGrader and uses a rubric for grading, the rubric supports excess points above the maximum point value for each criterion. This change allows instructors to provide extra credit through rubric criteria and aligns consistency with other Canvas features that support additional point values.
Video to enhance face-to-face and/or online instruction, presence, and interaction
Do you want to learn how to use video in different ways to improve instruction, presence, and interaction in both face-to-face and online instruction? Brent Anders, senior electronic media coordinator, recorded a presentation on how video can be created and used to help with instruction of the course content as well as to help establish and increase instructor presence.