On May 22, 2018, there was an accidental fire on the roof of Hale Library. Hale Library suffered substantial damage as a result of the smoke and the large amount of water needed to extinguish the fire. The building will remain closed for the 2018-2019 school year.
Library and IT services have been relocated across campus. To see a complete list of quiet and group study locations, library help desks, free printing locations, and computers labs, view the service locations list.
Library and Research Resources:
Faculty, staff, and students should use the free Interlibrary Loan service to get books and articles from other libraries. All online library resources are available, but most of the physical collection that was in Hale will not be available during the 2018-2019 school year. Please note: we usually aren't able to provide textbooks through this service. Stop by any library help desk either at our new Union location or a branch library to get help making a request online.
Library Services available at the following locations:
- Welcome Desk, K-State Student Union
- Weigel Library, Regnier Hall, Room 0081
- Math/Physics Library, Cardwell Hall, Room 105
- Vet Med Library, Trotter Hall, Room 422
The online Ask A Librarian services are being staffed and the branch libraries (MathPhysics, Weigel Architecture, Veterinary Medicine, and K-State Polytechnic) are all operating fully. For a complete list of branch locations, go to http://www.lib.k-state.edu/locations.
Are you looking for a quiet study space? Go to http://www.k-state.edu/its/recovery/service-locations.html to see all the available locations.
Scantron - the Scantron software is available, and a new Scantron machine is located just outside the Cat's Pause Lounge on the second floor of the K-State Student Union. Faculty should bring a USB drive to load files because the computer attached to the Scantron machine does not currently have a working network connection. Use of the Scantron machine is limited to the hours the IT Help Desk is open. The current times are:
- Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. (excluding holidays)
- Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, 1 - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, 1 - 10 p.m.
K-State's LISTSERV service, http://www.k-state.edu/its/mailinglists, is working and sending mail to its current list of recipients. However, after the Hale fire, the service that automatically updates some existing lists and allows the generation of new populations for LISTSERV mailing lists is unavailable. Lists that are updated and manually maintained by staff are saving and working properly.
One easy alternative is creating Contact Groups in Outlook and Office 365 webmail. With a Contact Group, you can send an email to multiple people – a project team, a committee, or students in your course. Follow these step-by-step instructions to create Contact Groups. If you need additional help, contact the IT Help Desk at 785-532-7722.
Outlook web client (Office 365 webmail)
K-State Online Updates
Updates to Canvas were released on October 6. Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle, with features added or updated every three weeks. To see all the new features and fixed bugs, view the complete October Release Notes. In addition to the Canvas release, Information Technology Services releases updates to services and integrations with K-State Online through the month as necessary.
- Anonymous Instructor Annotations Feature Option — In Assignments, the Anonymous Instructor Annotations option is enabled by a course-level feature option. This assignments-based feature was introduced in a previous release. This change enables the Anonymous Instructor Annotations option for instructors who want to create anonymous instructor annotations in their course assignments. When the option is enabled in an assignment, annotations and comments in a student’s submission do not display the name of the instructor or grader.
- Non-Scoring Rubrics Feature Option Enforcement — This feature allows rubrics to be created without point values. These changes promote learning engagement by helping students focus on assignment feedback instead of point values.|
- Document Rotation — DocViewer supports manual image and document rotation. Files that are viewable in DocViewer can be manually rotated in DocViewer using the Rotation button. Rotation is available on a per-page basis in documents with multiple pages. This feature allows instructors and students to manually rotate images and documents in DocViewer to allow easier viewing of files that were uploaded with a different image orientation.
- List View Dashboard Dismissed Alerts — In the List View Dashboard, the Alerts Menu displays both new and dismissed opportunities. This change allows students to view opportunities that have been dismissed from the menu.
- List View Dashboard Peer Review Items — Peer Review assignments are included as to-do items in the List View Dashboard. In the List View Dashboard, students can view and complete peer review assignments. Peer review assignments indicate the peer review that must be made by the student and display the peer review icon. Peer reviews can either be due on the same day as the initial assignment or can be due after the due date.