- Top Hat is now available in K-State Online. Top Hat is a classroom engagement system that has been integrated with K-State Online’s Canvas.
- A new feature request has been suggested to add a tool to check accessibility at the course level in Canvas. Voting is open now, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9958-tool-to-check-accessibility-at-the-course-level so please follow this link and Vote up this feature.
K-State Online Updates
Updates to Canvas were released on February 3. Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle, with features added or updated every three weeks. To see all the new features and fixed bugs, view the complete February Release Notes. In addition to the Canvas release, Information Technology Services releases updates to services and integrations with K-State Online through the month as necessary.
- DocViewer Free Text Annotation Backgrounds and Text Size — Free Text annotations support both white and transparent backgrounds. Annotations default to a white background, which may obscure page content, but the transparency option can be selected in the menu next to the annotation color. The Free Text menu bar also supports selecting a specific text size for the annotation. Text can also be adjusted in existing annotations. In smaller browser windows, the Free Text menu bar displays a secondary toolbar with a scrollbar for easy access.
- DocViewer Pagination Links — DocViewer displays pagination links for multi-page documents. These links can be used to advance to additional pages. A specific page can be accessed by typing the page number directly in the page number field and clicking the Enter or Return key.
- Decorative Image Checkbox — In the Rich Content editor when you click the Embed Images icon and select an image source, the Attributes section displays a decorative image checkbox, which indicates the image is for decorative purposes and does not require additional text. Decorative images do not require alternative text. If the Decorative Image checkbox is selected, the alternative text field is grayed out. Decorative images and alt text can be applied when embedding any image type: URL, Canvas (previous uploads), and Flickr.
- Canvas User Interface — Some Canvas Settings menu icons have been replaced with an Options icon. These changes clarify user expectations when displayed in a page and helps align consistency throughout all Canvas areas and mobile apps.
- If the icon displays a window with options that actively change the interface, the icon displays as a Settings icon.
- If the icon displays a menu with links to additional functionality or other Canvas areas, the icon displays as an Options icon.
Video to enhance face-to-face and/or online instruction, presence, and interaction
Do you want to learn how to use video in different ways to improve instruction, presence, and interaction in both face-to-face and online instruction? Brent Anders, senior electronic media coordinator, recorded a presentation on how video can be created and used to help with instruction of the course content as well as to help establish and increase instructor presence.