On May 22, 2018, there was an accidental fire on the roof of Hale Library. Hale Library suffered substantial damage as a result of the smoke and the large amount of water needed to extinguish the fire. The building will remain closed for the 2018-2019 school year.
Library and IT services have been relocated across campus. To see a complete list of quiet and group study locations, library help desks, free printing locations, and computers labs, view the service locations list.
Library and Research Resources:
Faculty, staff, and students should use the free Interlibrary Loan service to get books and articles from other libraries. All online library resources are available, but most of the physical collection that was in Hale will not be available during the 2018-2019 school year. Please note: we usually aren't able to provide textbooks through this service. Stop by any library help desk either at our new Union location or a branch library to get help making a request online.
Library Services available at the following locations:
- Welcome Desk, K-State Student Union
- Weigel Library, Regnier Hall, Room 0081
- Math/Physics Library, Cardwell Hall, Room 105
- Vet Med Library, Trotter Hall, Room 422
The online Ask A Librarian services are being staffed and the branch libraries (MathPhysics, Weigel Architecture, Veterinary Medicine, and K-State Polytechnic) are all operating fully. For a complete list of branch locations, go to http://www.lib.k-state.edu/locations.
Are you looking for a quiet study space? Go to http://www.k-state.edu/its/recovery/service-locations.html to see all the available locations.
Scantron - the Scantron software is available, and a new Scantron machine is located just outside the Cat's Pause Lounge on the second floor of the K-State Student Union. Faculty should bring a USB drive to load files because the computer attached to the Scantron machine does not currently have a working network connection. Use of the Scantron machine is limited to the hours the IT Help Desk is open. The current times are:
- Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. (excluding holidays)
- Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, 1 - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, 1 - 10 p.m.
K-State's LISTSERV service, http://www.k-state.edu/its/mailinglists, is working and sending mail to its current list of recipients. However, after the Hale fire, the service that automatically updates some existing lists and allows the generation of new populations for LISTSERV mailing lists is unavailable. Lists that are updated and manually maintained by staff are saving and working properly.
One easy alternative is creating Contact Groups in Outlook and Office 365 webmail. With a Contact Group, you can send an email to multiple people – a project team, a committee, or students in your course. Follow these step-by-step instructions to create Contact Groups. If you need additional help, contact the IT Help Desk at 785-532-7722.
Outlook web client (Office 365 webmail)
K-State Online Updates
Updates to Canvas were released on September 15. Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle, with features added or updated every three weeks. To see all the new features and fixed bugs, view the complete September Release Notes. In addition to the Canvas release, Information Technology Services releases updates to services and integrations with K-State Online through the month as necessary.
Bulk Select Final Moderated Grades — If an individual student’s submission has only been graded by one grader, the moderator can select all the grades from that grader as final grades. Upon review of a sample of a grader’s feedback and scores, this change allows a moderator to easily select all grades from one grader without having to select all final grades individually.
- Moderated Student Name SpeedGrader Links — In the Moderation page, student names are linked to their submissions in SpeedGrader. This change allows moderators to quickly access student submissions in SpeedGrader.
- Anonymous Grading Annotated Comments — DocViewer supports annotated comments in anonymously graded assignments. This change allows instructors to leave annotations and feedback in SpeedGrader assignment submissions while the assignment is muted and student names are hidden. If the assignment does not allow instructors to view each other’s names, the name of the instructor is also hidden.
- CSV Import Custom Column Support — Gradebook CSV import files support updates for custom columns. This change allows instructors to update any custom column as part of a CSV import file.
- User Pagination — The Learning Mastery Gradebook supports user pagination. Filtered outcomes and student results are also paginated. This change helps instructors more easily view long search results in a course.